The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International recently released its top 10 energy efficiency strategies for commercial building structures. The low cost strategies offer commercial real estate professionals ideas to reduce energy consumption by as much as 30 percent. "The built environment accounts for 48 percent of greenhouse gas emissions in this country," said BOMA International Chairman and CEO Kurt Padavano. "The good news is that there are many low and even no-cost strategies that are proven to save energy, reduce emissions and they are easy to implement and have the added benefit of often reducing building operation costs."
- Check that equipment is functioning as designed.
- Consider your cleaning options (i.e., team cleaning, occupancy sensors, coordination, and day cleaning when the lights are already on).
- Encourage tenants to turn off equipment...during off hours, power everything down.
- Use high efficiency LED exit signs.
- Institute an energy awareness program.
- Install monitor power management software.
- Change incandescent light bulbs to CFL or HID.
- Harvest daylight.
- Evaluate after-hours usage.
- Adjust ventilation.
Visit BOMA here if you want more details on the list above. Also, visit The G.R.E.E.N. (The Green Resource Energy and Environment Network) for more resources on sustainable practices for commercial real estate professionals.